Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I have found the promised land

After years of searching, I have finally found a real honest to goodness traditional mexican restaurant that is not located in Mexico. The place is Taqueria Vega in Bentonville on Highway 102 what some call 14th street. Now when I say Mexican I mean real Mexican fare not tex mex not southwestern and really not Taco Bell. How can you tell the difference? First of all the food is not covered with cheddar cheese and sour cream. Second if you like you can get such items as tongue or goat. For the traditional eater you can have everything made with beef, pork or chicken if the odd items scrae you a little. Be advised that when you order a taco it will not come out like a crispy Taco Bell taco. Expect a flat white corn disc with some meat and nothing else. I suggets the BBQ beef or the tongue. This place also makes their own tamales which were wonderfully tender and moist as well as the best tomatilla salsa I have ever eaten. In fact the salsa was so good I bought a pint to take home.

Dont expect anything fancy about this place. It is just simply great food done really well by a lovely mexican gal with some family help.

Best of all you can get the whole meal without cilantro because the whole meal is made fresh. It boggles the mind that someone can make fresh tasty authentic mexican food in this day and age. It is even more perplexing that it took me all these years to stumble across one.

No comments: